Clinical caregivers are central to advances for patients with kidney diseases. As key stakeholders, clinicians can increase awareness and participation in the KPMP. Readily available study information and videos of patient experiences are provided to bring the KPMP to a broad clinical community.
KPMP enrolls participants with CKD or AKI. CKD participants may have diabetic kidney disease or hypertensive kidney disease. Inclusion criteria for each study cohort and the general exclusion critieria is listed below.
Diabetic Kidney Disease (Type 1 or 2)
- eGFR 30-59mL/min/1.73m2 OR
- eGFR ≥ 60 with UPCR >150mg/g or UACR >30 mg/g
Diabetic Kidney Disease Resilient Individuals Inclusion Criteria
- Type 1 diabetes for over 25 years
- Estimated glomerular filtration rate greater than or equal to 60 mL/min/1.73m2
- Urine albumin excretion less than 30 mg/d (or mg/g creatinine)
Hypertensive Kidney Disease
- eGFR30-59/min/1.73m2 with UPCR or UACR
- eGFR ≥ 60 with UACR 30-2000mg/g or UPCR 150-2000 mg/g
Acute Kidney Injury
- Baseline eGFR >45mL/min/1.73m2
- Elevated serum creatinine ≥1.5x baseline, AND one of the following:
- Further serum creatinine increase of 0.3 mg/dL
- Positive kidney injury urine biomarkers (NGAL, Kim1, TIMP2 x IGFBP7)
- Urine microscopy suggestive of ATN
Healthy Reference Groups
- Undergoing percutaneous nephrolithotomy for treatment of symptomatic renal stones without evidence of pyelonephritis
- Participating in a living donor kidney transplantation as the donor
- Age (<18 years)
- Glomerular disease, Kidney transplant, Pregnancy
- Increased biopsy complication risk (Chronic anticoagulation, Platelets <100, INR>1.4, Hb <9, aspirin intake within 7 days of biopsy, Hypotension or BP that cannot be controlled to >160/100mmHg at time of biopsy).
KPMP participants are asked to do the following:
- Have a biopsy of their kidney for research purposes.
- Give blood, urine and stool.
- Provide our study team with information about them.
- Talk to our study team 2-3 times a year for up to 10 years.
Information about the study for clinicians
Informational brochure for patients
Frequently asked questions for patients
KPMP Overview Powerpoint presentation
AKI Fact sheet
Talking points brochure for clinicians with AKI patients
CKD fact sheet
Talking points brochure for clinicians with CKD patients
If you have a patient who would be a good candidate for KPMP, you can reach out to your nearest study center for more information.
Joslin Diabetes Center/Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
University of Arizona
University of Illinois, Chicago
University of Minnesota
University of North Carolina
University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas
We value the input of clinicians as we work to grow our study. The KPMP Community Engagement Committee is made up of KPMP site members,patient partners, ethicists and community clinicians. The group meets monthly to receive updates on the study and discuss issues of interest.
If you are interested in participating in the KPMP Community Engagement Committee, join our mailing list: